The spirit of your home is the connection you have as a family—the love, feelings of togetherness, fun, and overall enjoyment of life you have together. Oftentimes, nurturing the creative spirit of your home is as simple as spending quality time together.
As you and your family look for ways to make the spirit of your home more creative, begin by asking the following questions:
- How could we show more appreciation for one another?
- In what ways could we express our love for one another?
- How might we support one another and help each other grow?
- What might be some family rituals we could establish?
- What might be all the ways we could have fun together?
- What are all the things we could do for family night?
Suggestions and Ideas for Nurturing the Creative Spirit of Your Home
- Refer to your family as a team. Name your team. Create a cheer or song together that represents your team.
- Have a family love bracelet that each person wears that acts as a reminder that you love one another.
- Write or draw notes to your family and post them in surprising places.
- Engage in experiences that are fun for the whole family.
- Schedule a family game or movie nights.
- Make family dinners more than just eating together. Use this time to talk, share, laugh, and connect.
- Create meaningful bedtime rituals.
- Learn together.
- Tell stories: about your childhood, grandparents, etc.
- Share values and beliefs as a family.
- Volunteer together.
- Engage in mindfulness and relaxation as a family.
- Laugh and play together.
- Enjoy the simple things in life together, such as folding clothes, eating breakfast, and going grocery shopping.
This section was modified from the book, My Sandwich is a Spaceship: Creative Thinking for Parents and Young Children.